Trucking accidents often cause serious personal injury due to the size and weight of these vehicles. Georgia Highway Safety reports show that these trucking accidents are often due to driver issues or equipment failures. Truck accident cases are often very complex involving more than just the driver and trucking company requiring the expert legal direction of a truck accident lawyer.
Trucking Accident Laws Complex
Truck accident cases are often complex as the responsible party may involve an out-of-state company, sub-contracted or independent truck drivers, improperly recorded trucking logs, state truck inspection issues, as well as discovering the factors that led up to the accident. In addition, an injury received in an accident involving a truck may develop into a permanent life-impacting injury with significant financial implications.
Trucking Accident Statistics for Georgia
If you have been injured in a tractor trailer or truck accident it is important to work with a lawyer familiar with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. The Georgia Highway Safety office reports the following facts and statistics related to trucking accidents in Georgia:
- 50% of tractor trailer accidents in Georgia involve companies based out-of-state
- 1 out of 3 big trucks fail roadside inspections
- Driver fatigue was noted in causing up to 40% of truck accidents
- Almost 20% of truck drivers report that they have fallen asleep at the wheel recently
- 64% of truck drivers admitted to falsification of their driving hours on their service logs
- 22% of fatal crashes with a truck directly related to speeding
- 27% of drivers involved in an accident had at least one prior speeding conviction
Trucking Accidents on the Rise
The incidence of large trucks and buses involved in crashes continue to rise as reported by the FMCSA – Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Fatal crash records show a 2% increase since 2015, and 29% since 2009. The number of injury crashes has increased 62% from 2009 to 2015, with almost 120,000 injuries reported in big truck accidents in 2016.
Trucking Accidents Attorney
Working with a qualified experienced truck accident attorney will provide the best legal options and direction to take that will provide you with the maximum amount of compensation for injuries received. Call the office of Joel Baskin for immediate action on your case.