Nursing Home Neglect
When a family member has received less than the standard of care required from a nursing home, assisted living facility, or any kind of healthcare facility, a nursing home neglect attorney can help you bring a claim against those responsible for neglect and/or intentional abuse.
Residents in these healthcare facilities are among the most fragile and unable to defend themselves from the many types of neglect and abuse, which unfortunately have become more prevalent. In the U.S. alone, there are over a half million reports of nursing home abuse each year and those are just the ones that have been reported. It is estimated that millions of cases may go unreported.
By seeking compensation from those responsible for nursing home neglect the injured party and their family can help to cover medical bills and others costs the abuse generated as well as get justice, shine light on the problem of nursing home neglect, and help encourage caregivers to maintain higher standards. It also helps to hold the nursing home industry accountable and works toward reducing and stopping future nursing home neglect and abuse.
Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse Takes Many Forms & Preys on the Physically Frail
It is important to be informed about the warning signs of elder abuse so we can work to prevent problems and know when to report cases of abuse. Nursing home abuse and neglect can take many forms including;
- Physical Abuse – Hitting, shoving, inappropriate use of drugs, restraints, or confinement including any type of force used resulting in pain or injury are examples of physical abuse.
- Emotional Abuse – Emotional or psychological abuse such as yelling, humiliating, threatening, isolating, ignoring, and terrorizing an elderly resident causes emotional pain and distress.
- Sexual Abuse – Contact of a sexual nature without consent, forcing a nursing home resident to undress, and other things of a sexual nature forced upon the elderly is considered elder sexual abuse.
- Neglect – About half of the cases of reported elder abuse revolve around neglect. The failure to provide for the daily needs of the elderly either intentionally or unintentionally constitutes neglect.
- Financial Exploitation – Financial exploitation takes place when an unscrupulous caregiver enriches themselves by using a resident’s personal checks, credit cards or accounts, stealing cash or any valuable personal items, or engaging in identity theft.
- Healthcare Fraud & Abuse – This type of abuse is perpetrated by unethical doctors, nurses, and professional healthcare providers. It may involve charging for services not provided, overcharging or double billing, receiving kickbacks for certain referrals or prescribing specific drugs, overmedicating or under medicating, recommending fraudulent remedies, and Medicaid fraud.
Don’t let those who are hurting or taking advantage of our loved ones continue their terrible behavior. If you suspect a family member may be the victim of nursing home neglect or abuse, consult with a nursing home neglect attorney.
East Point & Vinings Attorney Joel Baskin
Contact attorney Joel Baskin and schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation to see how Joel can help you with your concerns about possible nursing home neglect or abuse. Joel has served the Atlanta and Metro Atlanta area with offices in Cobb & Fulton counties for over 20 years and can give you the personal attention you need and deserve.
Latest News Articles
Medication Error a Widespread Problem
With clinicians having access to more than 10,000 prescription drugs in the U.S. and a third of American adults taking five or more medications, errors are bound to happen. However, medication errors are topping the ranks where more people die […]Read More
Elder Abuse Rampant in Gwinnett County Nursin...
Elder abuse in nursing homes is a growing nationwide problem. Gwinnett County nursing homes are no exception to issues with elder abuse with nearly a third of all nursing homes in the county cited for a federal regulation that could […]Read More
Public Transportation Accidents Bring Law Sui...
Going about your normal day can bring unexpected injury due to a public transportation accident, whether as a rider or as a pedestrian. Public transportation accidents are common and include buses, trains, the subway, airplanes, or taxis. No matter if […]Read More