Using a check list following a personal injury helps give a strong legal base to work from on your claim. The most common type of personal injury lawsuit and most of the civil litigation in the U.S. involve injuries sustained in automobile accidents. The other most seen personal injury claims include slip and fall accidents, defective products, dog bites, medical malpractice, and construction accidents.
Personal Injury First Steps
There are almost 50 million Americans are injured every year according to The National Safety Council. The first steps taken following a personal injury can have a significant impact on the outcome and compensation of your claim or lawsuit. Using a check list may impact the strength of your case, your reimbursement and compensation awarded, and help to protect your rights during any legal proceedings.
Personal Injury Check List
Referring to the following check list, try to complete all the pertinent sections to give your case a solid legal foundation. Consultation with a personal injury attorney for specific guidance and direction with your case is first and foremost following your personal accident or injury.
- Call the police and/or 911 as appropriate; obtain a copy of the police report
- Seek medical attention – injuries may not seem serious at the time; however, symptoms may appear days later. Receiving immediate medical attention will strengthen your claim and provide documentation that your injuries are the result of the accident. Waiting days or weeks to seek treatment may make linking your injury to the accident harder to prove.
- Make detailed notes of any medical treatment including doctors, physical therapists, massage therapists, chiropractors, other professionals consulted following the accident injury
- Keep receipts for any medical expense, co-payments, travel expenses to medical appointments
- Keep receipts for any medications, walker, crutches, cane, or wheelchair that are needed
- Keep a daily record regarding amount of pain you are experiencing, what you are having difficulty doing due to pain or injury
- If possible take photos at the time of accident of area, hazards, any pertinent information; take multiple pictures from various angles and distances. Include photos of your bodily injuries as well.
- If a vehicle was involved, write down license plate number, VIN # of all vehicles involved; With automobile accidents notify yours and/or other driver’s insurance company
- Names and addresses, contact information of any witnesses
- Proof of any financial loss involved (from time off work for example)
- Consult with a personal injury lawyer for professional direction and legal guidance
Personal Injury Attorney Fights for You
In the thousands who are injured every day, you are more than a statistic – Call the law offices of Joel Baskin, for a confidential evaluation of your injuries and let the expert in personal injury claims. Put your needs first and foremost in seeking full compensation and settlement for your injuries.