Many children received a toy over the holidays that could result in holiday toy hazards that could lead to a serious injury. In the U.S., over 240,000 toy-related injuries occur every year that can potentially harm a child through strangulation, blunt force trauma, or eye damage. Every three-minutes a child is treated in the emergency room for an injury related to playing with a toy.
Holiday Toy Injuries Commonly Reported
Now that the holidays are over and the new year is upon us, it is time to check through all of the toys that your child plays with to check for potential hazards. A listing of the top 10 hazardous toys can be found at the WATCH site – the toys listed run the gamut from Cabbage Patch Dolls, Pillow Pet Lites, to Nerf guns – all commonly accepted “safe” toys.
Check List for Holiday Toy Hazards
Carefully checking out all the toys your child is playing with, as well as toys they may have in the back of their closet or buried in their toy box, may help prevent a serious injury or death. Some of the toy hazards to look for include:
- Pull toys with cords longer than 12” as they are a strangulation risk
- Batteries that are leaking or rusted
- Sharp edges on toys
- Toys that could scratch, cut, or puncture the skin
- Toys with parts that could be easily swallowed by young children
- Toys that break apart easily leaving sharp edges
- Toys that could cause eye injuries
- Store assembled riding or climbing toys that are not properly put together, or which are missing parts which result in injury
- Check for toy recalls
- Check that toy is made of non-toxic materials
- Check for food allergies in toy baking materials
- Read any warning labels on box or on toy
Compensation for Holiday Toy Injuries
In case of an injury, consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss your specific claim and extent of injury. Some of the compensation you may seek after an injury can include payment for medical bills, pain and suffering, continuing treatment for injuries received. Design flaws, poor safety labeling for age appropriateness, and defective or hazardous toys put the health and happiness of your child at risk.
Holiday Toy Injury Attorney
If your child has been injured due improper labeling of a toy, a defective or faulty product this holiday season, contact the skilled and proven holiday toy hazards team at the law office of attorney Joel Baskin today.