While many drivers place the blame on the motorcyclist when a crash happens, the majority of motorcycle accidents in Georgia are the result of negligent car, truck or SUV drivers. A motorcycle is a smaller vehicle and a driver may easily miss seeing the motorcycle if they do not look over their shoulder when switching lanes or making a turn. Negligent drivers generally cause the cyclist severe injuries that are often life-altering and deserving of compensation.
Common Reasons for Driver Negligence
According to the National Highway Safety Administration (NHSA), in 2015 almost 5,000 people died and 88,000 more motorcyclists were injured. One of the most common reasons a driver may come into contact with a motorcycle is distracted driving. Driver distraction can be from texting, taking a phone call, drinking or eating while driving, dealing with unruly children in the back seat, not following highway signs or not driving according to the road conditions as examples. Add driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs increases the chance that a motorcyclist will be severely injured or killed.
Need for Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident with another vehicle it is critical to obtain legal representation to make sure all of your needs are adequately compensated for. A motorcycle accident lawyer can help with:
- Getting you the medical evaluation and treatment you need
- Negotiating with the insurance company for optimal benefit coverage
- Understanding and planning for long term treatment or permanent disability
- Repairing or replacing the motorcycle
- Documenting all lost wages and time from work for treatment and injuries
- Making sure you receive all required on-going care and treatment in the hospital, at home or as an out-patient
- Assisting with compensation for financial hardship and emotional distress
- Working to obtain full compensation for all of your losses
- Obtaining the best settlement possible
Local Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Joel Baskin makes negligent drivers accountable in Atlanta. Injured motorcyclists need an experienced lawyer who works for you from day one through settlement. Call the office for a legal consultation on your case.