Car accident scams are not a game. They are perpetrated by individuals seeking to scam you and the insurance companies for financial gain. Sometimes they can go terribly wrong and end in serious injury and death. It is important to know how you can defend against a car accident scam.
According to the FBI, staged car accidents cost the insurance industry about 20 billion dollars a year. This affects us all because it drives up insurance costs as much as $300 extra per car per year.
You Can Defend Against Car Accident Scams
The Department of Motor Vehicles says you can defend against a car accident scam by being a good defensive driver and being prepared. This short list has good defensive driving actions:
- Don’t Multi-task – Don’t talk on your cell phone or do anything that distracts you from driving and being aware of the traffic around you.
- Don’t Tailgate – Always allow plenty of space between you and the car in front of you so you have time to stop.
- Be Cautious When Given “The Wave” – Some courteous drivers will give you the wave. Remember you are not required to respond to a wave.
- Be Aware of Traffic Around You – If traffic up in front of you is slowing, start applying your brakes.
- Get Involved As a Witness – If you witness a car accident, give honest details as to what you witnessed.
- Call the Police – Make sure you get a police report with the officers name, even for a minor accident .The police officer will accurately report on the extent of damage. Then, anyone trying to report damage more serious than what actually happened can be held accountable.
- Take Cell Phone Pictures – Document the damage and other passengers.
- Make Notes – Have pen & paper in your glove box so you are always ready to note names, phone numbers and driver’s license numbers. Note how many people were involved in the accident, their behavior, etc., while details are fresh.
Always seek the advice of an experienced car accident attorney should you or a family member be injured in a car accident. Your attorney can review your case and give you the information you need to pursue your accident injury claim successfully.
Atlanta Car Accident Attorney Joel Baskin
Call Atlanta car accident attorney Joel Baskin for a free initial consultation about your car accident or for any personal injury that was the fault of another. Joel has been helping his clients for over two decades in the Atlanta area including Cobb and Fulton counties.